Countless graces flow from the use of Holy Water — but only if you use it properly.
Do you know how it can protect you from danger?
Or how it can deepen your prayers during Mass?
In clear, convincing language, Father Theiler lays out for Christians countless surprising, but long-forgotten truths about Holy Water, and explains the interior acts and dispositions that are necessary for this blessed gift of God to have the sanctifying effect our Lord intends for you.
Read these pages attentively; consider them thoughtfully; incorporate their truths and suggestions into your daily spiritual life. In these pages, you’ll also learn:
- The time that God Himself commanded the use of Holy Water (Do you know where the Bible tells this story?)
- Why God chose water as the means to impart so many blessings – even before He created man and woman!
- What you should — and should not — expect from the graces conferred by Holy Water.
- Did you know that Holy Water helps not merely the souls, but even the bodies of the Faithful Departed?
- Why, although it’s not necessary for salvation, Holy Water may be just what you need to be saved.
- Holy Water actually does protect you against ills, physical and spiritual – but only if you use it properly. Do you know how?
- Making the Sign of the Cross with Holy Water: what it ought to bring to your mind.
- A simple way to use Holy Water to ease and deepen your prayers at Mass.
- You know your children face many dangers. Here are ways Holy Water can protect them.
- The Rite of Sprinkling with Holy Water: what should you do if no drops of water reach you?
- Many prayers — short and long — to help you use Holy Water frequently and efficaciously.
- Eight practical ways you can use Holy Water for the well-being of yourself and your loved ones.
by Rev. Henry Theiler
The Sign of the Cross
From the young St. Francis de Sales’s heroic efforts to bring Calvinists back to the Faith comes this succinct, eloquent defense of the age-old Catholic practice of making the Sign of the Cross, which sixteenth-century Calvinists denounced as a Popish invention and many Protestants scorn even today.
Embodying the zeal of youth and the wisdom of age, this gentle jewel of Catholic apologetics traces the origins of the Sign of the Cross back to the Fathers of the Church, to the Apostles before them, and finally to our Lord Himself.
Along with St. Francis’s other lucid explanations of our Catholic Faith and his undaunted love even for those who hated him, this modest book helped restore to their native Catholic faith tens of thousands of heretics who not long before were intent on killing him.
As they did for the Calvinists in St. Francis’s day, so in our day these pages will bring you a better understanding and a renewed love for the Sign of the Cross, that brief and lively exterior prayer by which, from time immemorial, God has been invoked by serious Christians before all of their endeavors.
Among the other things you’ll learn here:
- Why now is always the right time to make the Sign of the Cross
- Why God chooses to attach power to the Sign of the Cross
- Why it is made on the forehead
- How to convince skeptics to value and pray with it
- Two uses of the Sign of the Cross: do you know both of them?
- How the Sign of the Cross is the antidote to the Mark of the Devil
- Errors in the claims of those who oppose this practice
- The theological significance of the motions, vertical and horizontal
- Two reasons it has particular power against the Enemy
- Why you should make the Sign of the Cross publicly and often
Outside the Creed itself, there are few topics to which the Fathers testify as universally and unanimously as the pious practice of making, frequently and well, the Sign of the Cross. With the help of these holy pages, the saints’ love for it will enkindle yours. Soon you’ll be saying with St. Jerome, “With every work, with all of my comings and goings, may my hand make the Sign of the Cross!”
by St. Francis De Sales, Christopher O. Blum